Sunday, August 17, 2008

The things you come across on the Appalachian Trail


This Turks-cap lily was a real eye-catcher along the AT. It was blooming between the summit of Blood Mountain and Slaughter Gap. (These names come from a big battle between the Cherokee and the Creek Indians.) This is about 34°44'9.15"N and 83°57'1.10"W.
This picture was taken six years ago last week (10 Aug 2002). Historically it's important because it's one of the pictures that made me realize I liked doing this. The camera was the first digital camera we've owned: Nikon Coolpix 995. Up until then, all of our pictures were taken with a Yashica that my brother Clark bought while working as a missionary in Spain in 1976-1977 (before the days of digital).
This image is a favorite of at least 50% of my customers (i.e. Tamara M. liked this one).

1 comment:

Lorena Holmstead, CHBP, CRTS, LSH said...

Well, this picture certainly got you started on a great hobby. I love your photographs. My kids are cracking up about the names of the mountains. Probably not very funny.