Saturday, February 20, 2010

Blue Mountain

Today I hiked to the top of Blue Mountain on the Appalachian Trail (AT). I started at Unicoi Gap and hiked west, toward the southern terminus of the trail. It was muddy at the start, but as the trail wrapped around to the north side of the mountain, the mud turned to slush. Then, with elevation, it turned to compacted snow. I have not been in this much snow in a long time. It was beautiful - and a fun hike too. At the top of the ridge, I came across an old road bed that I had not noticed the previous two times I've hiked this trail. It's interesting how different things look in the snow. I followed it for about 1/2 a mile until it curved away from the ridge line. I'll have to go back and explore it later in the spring.

As evidence that I was really on the AT, I submit the photo below with Michelles hiking stick leaning against a tree with the AT blaze on. This white blaze marks the trail from Springer Mountain in Georgia all the way to Maine.

About Michelle's hiking stick... it was a gift from David Brown, in Alabama (not the relative). I've used it on just about every serious hike I've taken.

From near the top of Blue Mountain you can see the highet point in Georgia to the north, the Brass Town Bald. Getting to the top of Brass Town Bald is somewhat easier than Blue Mountain: it's accesible by wheel chair.

2 comments:

Elaine Brown Billings said...

What a hiking stud you are!! Your pictures are cool.

croc said...

Just wanted to post a note saying thanks for posting. I really enjoy reading about your hikes, seeing your great pictures, and just keeping updated on things.